Name, what is the name? . Many people say that a name is something that is not too important and only limited to identification to mark someone or just an object. That sound just an ordinary thing, but wait, that assumption is a very fatal mistake. I also once considered that a name is not more than just a name that is used as a nickname.
But over time, I have increasingly found the importance of a name because from that name all our activities and activities can run smoothly or not. Well, if you explain it can be from A to Z and there is no end. Well , back again to the title of our topic this time about the procedure for choosing a good domain name for our website.
When you plan to create and build a website for both personal and business purposes, preparing a name to use is a must. From this domain name that will later become part of identification, branding, distinctive features, slogans, etc. that will help you to develop your website in the future and also to attract visitors to your website. So do not be considered trivial about domain names, because a good domain name or those who have succeeded in a business will be worth very expensive and the price can reach hundreds of thousands, millions, and even up to billions of dollars. Well still want to underestimate the name of a domain?
Well, let’s start the discussion about the steps in choosing and determining a domain name for your prospective website.
1. First, to determine a domain name, what you have to think about is what the website will be like, what is the website that you will create is a personal website, office website / institution, or website that you will use as a website for online business. If it is for your personal website that you use to introduce yourself (usually used as a self-data website that is often made by fresh graduates and professionals) then there is no harm in using your own name as your website domain name, for company / agency websites (usually for company profile purposes) use the name of the agency or company itself so that later people can easily find the website, now for prospective websites that will be used as an online business then you can choose a domain name according to the business name or the characteristic of the product you sell.
2. The second is to try to choose a brandable domain name or arguably a domain name that makes people interested. Look for a name that stands out and is different from the general but still in the corridor according to the website you are about to create. You can create it by combining interesting new words, or if you have trouble finding new words you can also combine with existing words or with words that are rarely known to others but still have relevance to your prospective website . A brandable domain name that is most important is easy to remember, not difficult to write down, and certainly attracts the interest of someone to visit it.
3. Next, try not to choose a long domain name, because if your website’s domain name is too long it will be troublesome and even make your website visitors feel lazy to visit. With a short name, it will certainly make it easier for visitors to remember your domain name, and if you notice many popular websites in the world use short and simple names (no more than 12 letters).
4. Avoid using numbers and hyphens (-) characters. The use of hyphens is not only impressed by breaking up domain names, but also can make your domain name look forced. Why does it look forced? This will make the assumption that you are trying to get a domain name by composing the big name of an existing website, for example you create a domain name www.go-oogle.com then it feels like you want to win and take advantage from the big names that Google has and also the domain name will look strange.
5. Try to find domain name keywords that are appropriate and relevant to your business. By using keywords that are relevant to your business, it can help increase the value of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for your website. Suppose you are going to create a business website about bakery, then add the word bakery in your domain name, like I want to create a website, so I will choose the name “novicebakery”. That way, every time someone searches for the keyword “bakery” then the chance for my website to appear on the search engine will be greater.
6. Think carefully and be oriented for the long term. Because of the importance of a domain name, try to make a plan for the domain name you are using. If you want to make a bakery business then you will open a food business, but in other markets, try not to use the word “bakery” but use the word “food” as an example. For the rest you can create a sub domain name that contains each of your business divisions and also you can optimize its SEO by utilizing the site description for the future.
7. Adjust to your target visitor’s plan. This is important to note, because if your target is a local visitor then try to enter a local word in your domain and if your target is a global visitor then you can choose English words that will be easier to remember by many people from around the world.
8. The thing that is quite influential and often backfires is when you choose a trend based domain name. Try not to choose a domain name based on a growing trend. Indeed, choosing a domain name from a trend that is happening will make it possible for your website to be in demand and many visitors will get bigger, but what happens if the trend is changed and replaced with a new trend? . This happens a lot, where a website finally closes because it doesn’t sell anymore because the trend with it has passed. My advice if you still want to use the trend as a reference for your domain name is to use it for websites that are not aimed at the long term.
9. Avoid selecting domain names that have the potential to have copyright and trademarks. Using and adding domain names that have copyright or trademark will make you potentially entangled in the law. It is not impossible that the licensee will charge you, for example, you use a domain name “bestmicrosoft.com” so at any time the party from “Microsoft” might be suing you. so avoid these risky names so that you don’t deal with trademark issues especially if your business has developed which certainly can make yourbusiness fall instantly.
10. Well, the last time after you have done the previous steps, then proceed by checking the availability of the domain name you choose, you can check the availability of the domain on a trusted domain name / registrar provider site. If the name you want is still available and in accordance with your budget, then the next thing is to just buy the domain name as soon as possible because it is not impossible there will be someone who has the same idea as you target the same domain name.
After all the processes are complete, you can continue the stage of making your website to the next stage. It’s a good suggestion from my experience when choosing a domainname, even though there are times when I choose a domain name spontaneously, hehe. But my question still uses the procedure.
Hopefully this post can be useful, and do not forget if there are suggestions or suggestions or you want to ask, please give comments or contact me in the contact-us section. Thank you very much and wait for my next post.